Last summer we seem to not be able to go anywhere without hearing Rihanna and Desiigner, as well as Timberlake's "Can't Stop This Feeling". What songs are going to emerge this summer as some of the biggest and most memorable? Here are some of the biggest songs on the Top 40 and Urban charts in early July that have been showing up on summer playlists all around for Charleston weddings. Take a listen to what's trending now on the dance floors all over Charleston. Will the summer of 2017 be the summer of "Desposito"? Take a look below.
Hottest 5 on the Current Top 40 Charts
1. "Stay" | Zedd & Alessia Cara | This track was released back when we were all bundled in our sweaters back on February 23, but it still has legs as we approach July 4 and are wearing our swimsuits out at Folly Beach and at the Isle Of Palms.
2. "Despacito" | L. Fonsi & Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber | Speaking of another single that dropped when our bikinis were packed away, this one was released on January 13 and could not be hotter. Luis Fonsi teams up with Daddy Yankee, and by April 17, there was a remix released featuring Justin Bieber.
3. "I'm The One" | DJ Khaled | Officially released on April 28, we began to hear about this summer track in February on DJ Khaled's Instagram account. Now, already the Number 3 song in early July, where will it be in the coming weeks? Check back here to this blog.
4. "Issues" | Julia Michaels | Julia knocked it out of the park with her debut song. Maybe this will turn into the summer of love all over again. It's been a long climb to the Number 4 spot from it's release in early January 2017.
5."Something Just Like This" | Chainsmokers Featuring Coldplay | Chainsmokers have been all over the charts and their single with Halsey ("Closer") is still hot, but this collaboration with Coldplay is seriously showing up on summer wedding playlists all over the Holy City. Be sure to crank your speakers before you listen to the video below.
Biggest 5 Hits On The Urban Radio Charts
1. "Humble" | Kendrick Lamar | This track was written by Lamar and Mike Will and is currently the biggest song on the urban / rap charts. It dropped back on March 30, 2017 and now that we're shooting fireworks off for the 4th Of July, it's the hottest on the charts. Enjoy the video.
2. "Bruno Marrs" | That's What I Like | This follow-up to 24K Magic dropped 10 days after Innauguration Day and is still the second biggest and hottest song on the urban charts. Be sure to check out some of the great remixes by Gucci Mane and PartyNextDoor. If you want a great hip hop soul record for your wedding down at Lowndes Grove, this one is getting lots of spins this summer.
3. "Mask Off" | Future | This track dropped back in mid April and is tearing up the urban and rap charts this summer. It's seen a slow decent from it's Top 5 peak on May 6, but it's still getting some requests at weddings.
4. "Everyday We Lit" | YFN Lucci | We were 9 days away from Christmas 2016 when this song dropped and over 6 months later, it remains the fourth biggest urban & rap track. Take a listen and if you like it, write it down for your own wedding playlist.
5. "Redbone" | Childish Gambino | This one came out before Thanksgiving 2016 and is still strong as we approach the Fourth Of July. If you aren't aware, "Redbone" is a term for a light-skinned African American woman.
Other Hot Tracks To Watch For Summer 2017
"Malibu" | Miley Cyrus | Released long before the actual upcoming album in October 2017, "Malibu" is the first single and mentions her current relationship with Liam Hemsworth. Check out You Tube for recently released remixes from Alan Walker, as well as Dillon Francis.
"Slide" | Calvin Harris Featuring Frank Ocean & Migos | At the time of the writing of this blog post, this video had posted to Calvin Harris' official VEVO on June 29, but we knew it was coming out with an audio preview about 4 months ago. Released on February 23, this song might be one of the biggest of the summer.
"Bon Appetit" | Katy Perry Featuring Migos | In less than 2 months, this You Tube has nearly 200,000,000 views. An interesting collaboration with Migos, Katy Perry may have created another one of those super hot sounds of summer 2017.
And there you have it, some of the biggest songs you are hearing on the radio, as well as You Tube, and Spotify, or wherever it is that you discover all the new music that is coming out. I'll be sure to post another blog about the soundtrack of summer 2017 in Charleston and what's hot at weddings just to see if this list adjusts or anyone bursts on the scene. I invite you to check back to this blog and read over past posts for DJ tips, real wedding playlists, and other information needed to plan the perfect mix of music for your Charleston wedding. Click HERE if you'd like to set up a meeting with Mike